Chinese Scholar Stones(供石or賞石): Daydreamy inspiration or tactile device

I absolutely love scholar stones or scholar rocks and I want one for my garden. I think I want all of them.

Things I know:

People love them.

They were not only found, they were shaped.

They look like mountains.

They inspire writers, calligraphers, ink painters.

They are so various.

They fit many criteria for a memory device: uneven, tactile, associated with knowledge and scholarship, ritual and serene mind. But not really portable and not communal.

The writing I have found about them only mentions aesthetic appreciation and 'inspiration' or daydreaming. I have asked well-educated Chinese people about it and they deny everything.

But then Sam said, 'Oh yes scholars would touch the bumps to remember different stories'. So someone must have told him or he read it somewhere, but he doesn't remember where.

I have bought a book called 'The Memory Palace of Matteo Ricci', a Jesuit cross-cultural teacher in Ming Dynasty China. Maybe there's something in there. I asked Sam to read it but he's fallen in with the Dragon Riders of Pern and it will be some time before he emerges. I may have to read it myself.

If you, dear reader, know anything about a mnemonic function of gongshi, seungsek, scholar rocks, could you please post references in the comments?



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"I want to know everything".

reader circle ||| by kalamata

Trust Issues and History Walks