Interesting Buildings for Loci or Loki

Obviously the place I need to start is my house.

I want to do a little brain dump on some other possibilities.

And I realise I have some overlap between memory walks through landscape and memory palaces enclosed in walls. What's the difference? [Ahh, I'm starting to remember. Is the difference between a discrete entity like a country vs a continuum like a timeline?] Sam has taken possession of the book so I can't look everything up right now.

I would like to create memory spaces in some of the historical buildings in my area. They are very interesting in their own right. The Ping Shan area is built on Fung Shui principles. Many of the buildings have been preserved and the guest house, the ancestor shrine and the school all have multiple spaces with their own character and history, and they are open to be walked through.

There are also some buildings within walking distance of my house. Many of the old Chinese buildings have wall paintings. Fruit trees, blossoms, animals.




Another idea popped up while I was looking through photos today. I saw some photos I'd taken of the silly buddha statues up around the circular walk around the Big Buddha on Lantau and realised they are certainly designed to be memory cues for religious stories from the scriptures. They each have particular poses and are holding distinctive objects. I'll have to find the photo again and post it here. That could be an interesting place to place something. If a little irreverent. I've always assumed the only purpose of the Big Buddha was tourist revenue. It seems ridiculous to try to have the biggest Buddha. Now I wonder if there are in fact Buddhists who use that circular walk to recite Buddhist texts. I'm going to ask some Buddhists. I'm often caught thinking things are silly until I learn something and realise that I am silly.

Also, I always think of Loci as being something to do with Loki who is the opposite of well-organised. Method of Loki. That's more my thing.


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

"I want to know everything".

reader circle ||| by kalamata

Trust Issues and History Walks